Saturday, January 8, 2011

Life's a drag....and then you die

This past week has been a sad one. A friend of mine lost her father to cancer. When something like this happens it really makes you re-examine your own life and the people in it. At 29 years old I still have both of my natural parents as well as an amazing step dad that was a HUGE part of my upbringing. I can't imagine life without any of them, yet sadly I know this is an inevitable part of living. Getting older SUCKS. I know lots of people who have lost their parents and honestly, I am not sure how you survive. When you're a kid you think parents are just there to raise you, teach you life lessons (and not always ones you wanted, but let's be honest....most of them are good ones that mold you into a decent human being), and pay the bills. The truth is, as an adult you need them just as much as when you were a child. When you get older, your parents become your best friends, and you become theirs. (I am strictly speaking from my own experiences. I do realize not everyone has a relationship with their parents as I do with mine.) Over the past 3 years I have had a chance to develop a much stronger relationship with my dad. He had a heart attack about 2 1/2 years ago and when that happened, it made me realize just how important he is to me. This is the second time in 3 years that I have had a friend whose father has passed away and each time it rocks me to my core. It really makes me want to curl into a little ball and cry uncontrollably until I fall asleep (even as I am typing, the tears are welling up). I am so thankful for the time I have been able to spend with my dad and the relationship that has grown there has been unbelievable.

Switching gears for a minute....there have been a string of shootings this week as well. Mindless, callous jerks have taken matters into their own hands and decided to prematurely end peoples lives. One of the people killed in this latest shooting in Tucson, AZ was a child. A CHILD! An innocent little bystander that was there to accompany their parents on the weekly shopping trip. This makes me sad as well as EXTREMELY angry. No one on this earth has the right to decide when another person will die. I really believe that the only one who should decide when it's your time is God. After all, He created you.

I guess my whole point is this..... cherish every moment that you have with your loved ones and in your own life. You never know when the next disaster will hit, be it a natural occurrence or an insane act of a mad man that will end life as you know it. Life is too short not to enjoy it every step of the way, and this is the only shot at living you get. Make it count.

No comments:

Post a Comment